Wednesday 23 April 2014

More epitaphs

You could stop at any one of these thousands of names, remembered on graves and memorials, and think about the sadness that settled in the homes of these men's families on the other side of the world when news arrived of their death (or disappearance.)

I also find it fascinating to see how their families chose to remember them, in the limited space they were allowed. Here are some more examples:

Dear is the spot to me where my beloved son rests, my Anzac hero. Mother.

A sister's chum on earth, united again in heaven.


There are many heroes in the world but there is one hero in my heart.

Dick, you are ever remembered.

Sisters Florrie, Alice, Rosie miss you dearly, miss you Will.

Just a memory fond and true to show dear Frank I think of you.

He left home in perfect peace, he little thought of death so nigh.

One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.

A kind and loving son.

Not in vain.

Peace.

His life for his country.

Some day some time we'll understand, Mother.

Son would that I could have died for thee.

Our Anzac.

His last words Goodbye Cobber, God bless you.
(this is true - see my blogpost on Walker's Ridge Cemetery.)


Our beloved son, our Anzac laddie.

Another hero's part is done, another soul gone west.

The dearly loved only son of John and Agnes, and brother of Ivy.

Brother Bill a sniping fell, we miss him still, we ever will.







No comments:

Post a Comment